Author: Beth Moriarty
Publisher: Planet Purl Press
Approx. Retail Price: $26.95 USD
Category: Crafts/Hobbies - Knitting/Crochet
Release Date: January 15, 2012 (Available for Pre-Order)
Beth Moriarty, AKA the "PurlQueen", has released this charming collection of patterns, commentary, and recipes of the Deep South. 16 of the 25 patterns are written by Beth herself, with an additional 9 patterns contributed by Deep South Designers! Beth, a yankee by birth, has lived in Mississippi, Georgia & Florida and feels the South will forever be a part of her. In this enchanting collection, Beth shares the essence of the south through a knitter's perspective. Grab yourself an iced tea and tour the south with Beth!
Included in this book:
- 1865 Jacket - a semi-fitted cardigan, knit in denim for the appearance of a fabulously drapey denim jacket. The button band and bottom of the cardigan are edged in a subtle and sturdy eyelet lace, while the collar and sleeve cuffs are crocheted with a beautiful, frilly lace. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters and is sized to fit XXS - 2X.
- Crazy Good Cornbread Recipe
- Derby Day Clutch - a chic little beaded clutch knit in wool and alpaca lace and then felted. This bag has instructions for creating a rose wrist strap as well as finishing with a fabric lining and zipper. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters.
- Summer Breeze Socks - a breezy feather & fan, cuff down sock design. These socks are constructed with a heel flap and sit on the lower calf. A chart for the "Summer Breeze" pattern is included. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters.
- Mint Julep Recipe
- Honeysuckle Bridal Set - This dainty set of a drawstring bag, garter, and fingerless gloves are knit in a beautiful lattice lace. Feminine and reminiscent of outdoor weddings in the old south, they offer the perfect amount of lace for an elegant occasion. The bag is beaded and lined. The gloves also had delicate beading detail on the cuff. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters.
- Blue Ridge Lap Throw - a circular throw, knit in stockinette st wedges with purl st designs in each wedge and edged in a contrasting color. This throw can be knit as one piece or divided into wedges and seamed at the knitter's discretion. Knit in wool and alpaca, it's sure to be a cozy family favorite. This project is rated Easy-Intermediate.
- Chocolate Toffee Pecan Pie Recipe
- Dogwood Cardigan - a lightweight, open, stockinette st and lace cardigan worked in pieces and seamed. (Sleeves are set in.) Stitches are picked up along the edges of this cardigan and a delicate contrasting color edge is worked as well as a collar. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters and is sized for S-M-L.
- Bears & Blooms Hat - a stranded colorwork hat with black bear and flower motif. This hat has a rolled brim and an interesting i-cord top trim. Some techniques utilized in this hat are stranded colorwork, duplicate stitch, i-cord, beading, sewing buttons on, and embroidery. This hat is rated for the Advanced knitter and is a One-Size-Fits-Most hat.
- Pecan Divinity Recipe
- Ozark Mountain Vest - a simple stockinette st and ribbed v-neck, men's vest knit in stripes. Knit with plenty of room for a nice ease and in worsted weight yarn, this is the perfect fall vest for the man in your life. This project is rated Easy and is sized for XS - 4X.
- Farmer's Market Skirt - an easy-going, reverse stockinette stitch skirt with crocheted bottom edging This is a very breezy and comfortable style with elastic waistband. This skirt sits approx. 2 inches above the knee. This project is rated Easy-Intermediate and is sized XS-XL.
- Whipped Maple Candy Recipe
- Sunshine Sweater - the perfect little summer sweater! Knit in the round until the underarms, there is little finishing work required. This sweater includes textural bands of seed stitch as well as eyelet lace. This sweater is knit out of cotton, is short-sleeved, and sits at the hip line. The moderate easy of this sweater is perfect for those hot summer days. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters and is sized to fit S-XL.
- Morning After Scarflet - a delicate, short, lace scarf, this scarf is sure to hide those little love bites from the night before. Afterall, Beth reminds us, a Southern woman is discreet about her love life. Worked in 4-ply mercerized cotton, this is a perfect spring/summer scarf. Dainty and feminine, it can dress up a t-shirt or be worn to the office. The "Love Bites" lace is both charted and written out. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters.
- Magnolia Wristlets - Lightweight and feminine, this wristlets are the perfect project for the Southern Belle whose hands chill in cold, air-conditioned offices. These wristlets are knit in stockinette stitch with an optional beaded top edging and a frilly bottom edging. No need to worry about thumb gussets, these wristlets are knit with thumb openings. This project is rated Easy.
- Bananas Foster Bread Pudding Recipe
- Darlin' Tea Cozy - a stockinette stitch cozy that is felted. Adorned with felted flowers and leaves, beading, and a little embroidery, this is sure to be a must-have cozy for afternoon tea with the ladies. There are instructions for knitting the flowers. The leaves are actually cut from felted sheets of knitting (very cool idea). This project is rated for Intermediate knitters.
- Bayou Boa - a very light and airy, full length boa knit in Rowan Kidsilk Haze and edged with a Spanish Lace Edging for the perfect feminine accessory. This boa is approx. 96" long and is rated Easy.
- Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Camellia Baby Set - a sweet baby bunting and bonnet set perfect for the baby belle! The bunting is knit in garter stitch with an i-cord cinching drawstring at the bottom. The top of the bodice is edged in petals as are the cuffs of the sleeves. The bunting has sweet little buttons down the center, but concealed inside is snap tape for easy opening and closing. The bonnet is knit in matching garter stitch with petal detail as well. This project is rated for Easy - Intermediate.
- Mardi Gras Party Bangles - Colorful, felted, and beaded bangles create a new way to wear Mardi Gras beads! Using a hard, plastic bracelet on the inside of this bangle is the key to keeping it's shape! This project is rated Easy.
- Sweet Tea Recipe
- Gilded Age Placemats - Stranded intarsia placemats knit in metallic yarn to add a touch of elegance to any table. These placemats are lined on the back with felt to keep their shape. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters.
- Cherokee Vest - a Native American-inspired, stockinette stitch vest that incorporates intarsia and a modern color palette. This vest is meant to be worn open and not meant to meet in the center, but for the front panel edging to align with the mid-breast. The sleeves are joined with a 3-needle BO. This project is rated for Easy-Intermediate and is sized S-L.
- Creamy Sweet Potato Pie
- Gracious Lace Tea Towel - a lovely, lace-trimmed tea towl, knit in Seeded Background Stitch. This pattern includes a monogram band section and a duplicate stitch chart for completing the monogram. This project is rated Easy - Intermediate.
- Wrought Iron Gate Pillows - pillows knit in stranded colorwork to represent the old wrought iron gates found all over South Carolina. These pillows can be edged with a lace trim, braided i-cord trim, or i-cord trim and instructions for all three are given. The pillows are knit in 2 pieces and then seamed with the addition of a pillow form. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters.
- Bourban & Brown Sugar Pralines Recipe
- Treasure Coast Tennis Vest - a highly textured and feminine vest perfect for playing tennis in Palm Beach or dressing up a pair of jeans. This vest is semi-fitted and knit in cotton. It includes an Oblique Rib and Bobbles. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters and is sized for S-L.
- Beachcomber Lariat Set - a lariat and bracelet set knit in cotton. It utilizes dropped stitches at different length to represent the ripples left in the sand as the tide retreats. Embellished with any beach treasure (shells, pottery shards, sea glass, driftwood beads), it's easy to feel as though you've just stepped onto the beach. This project is rated Easy.
- Sunset Moebius - a lightweight and generously sized cowl with drop stitch inset and picot BO. This cowl can be worn long or wrapped around the neck. Sequinned and beaded yarn with the addition of more glass beads gives this cowl a subtle, but gorgeous shimmer. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters
- Fried Sweet Plantains Recipe
- Lighthouse Tunic - a lightweight and relaxed tunic perfect for layering over a tee or bathing suit. This tunic is stylish with a pop of color in the form of a color block around the bust area. This tunic has a nice swing style to it and can be worn by many different body shapes. Pair it with your favorite shorts or capris and you're ready for a day in the sun. This tunic is knit in stockinette st and the back & front are worked in the round until the armholes. The pattern comes completed with instructions for a jogless stripe. This project is rated Easy and will fit but sizes 34 - 42 1/2".
- "Frankly My Dear" Fichu - a simple feather & fan designed fichu inspired by Scarlet O'Hara's famous drapery dress. Light and airy when knit in a cotton/linen blend, this fichu is the perfect cover for bare shoulders. This little number ties with an adorable i-cord and tassels tie. This project is rated for Intermediate knitters and is sized for S - XL.
- Peach Cobbler Recipe
Disclosure: Planet Purl Press has sent KnitPurlGurl a copy of Deep South Knitting FREE for review. KnitPurlGurl was not compensated for the preceding review. All opinions expressed in the preceding review are those of the blog author's and do not necessarily reflect those of Planet Purl Press or Beth Moriarty.
a Rafflecopter giveaway