DVD Title: Knitting Daily Workshop - Classic to Creative Knit Cables with Kathy Zimmerman
Available From: Interweave
Approx. Price: $19.95
Length: 65:51 minutes
Difficulty: Advanced Beginner/Intermediate
In this DVD, Kathy Zimmerman, The Queen of Cables, takes you step by step through construction of cables as it relates to her Deer Creek Scarf. Owner of her own yarn shop in Pennsylvania, Kathy does what she does best: teach cables. Having a pattern to knit off while watching Kathy give instruction was immensely helpful and really added to this instructional video. Kathy skillfully explains the pattern and demonstrates every cable in the pattern so that knitter hoping to enhance her cable skills, has all of the tools she needs to complete this cable project.
What I Liked About This DVD:
- The DVD begins with Kathy explaining cables and cable construction.
- Kathy arms the cable knitter with some great tips and tricks for keeping the cable chart organized. These tips and tricks help to make cable knitting easy and enjoyable.
- Kathy explains which tools are nice to have and why she prefers the tools she uses.
- As Kathy takes you through the chart line by line, she highlights each cable sequence - explaining what the symbols and corresponding text means while demonstrating EVERY cable sequence in the chart.
- Kathy explains her own personal relationship with each cable design and offers a few stories on Aran knitting.
- Kathy explains how to adapt cable patterns as it relates to her Deer Creek Scarf and Princess Sweater.
- Understanding that even The Cable Queen makes mistakes, Kathy demonstrates how to identify mistakes in one's cable knitting and how to correct the mistakes.
Since I am a self-taught cable knitter, it was really nice to watch Kathy demonstrate cable charts. I've always knit right off of the cable needle and have had wonky stitches and gaps due to pulling. After watching this video, I've come away with some terrific advice for how to keep my work even and avoid the typical cable pitfalls. And now that I know how to correct my cable mistakes without frogging my project, I feel more warmly towards cable projects. This is a great DVD for any newbie to cables and those like myself who aren't new to cables, but would like a few tips and tricks on how to keep our work looking fabulous.
I reviewed this product courtesy of Interweave. Knit Purl Gurl Disclosure Policy applies.