Okay - I just had to take pics of this finished capelet!
1.) Because anytime I actually finish a project, it's a monumental, earth-shattering event (just ask my knitting group)
2.) Because I think it actually turned out so cute!
3.) I can't believe I crocheted something other than a washcloth!!!
Unfortunately, hubby is on a business trip to Cleveland and took my digital camera so I had to use my piddly camera phone. So these pics aren't ideal, but you get the idea!
As you know, I am trying to learn to crochet. [Trying being the operative word here.] So I visited the awesome blog, Hooked on Needles, and browsed all of her fabu videos! I watched the Close Scallop Crochet Stitch video and thought I'd give it a go. I yanked out the Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick I had stashed and a size 'N' hook. (I bought the yarn on clearance - apparently no one else wanted super bulky yarn in 'Pumpkin.' Who knew?) I chained 73 and began the pattern as instructed on Mary's video. After I had gone through an entire skein and only had about 5 inches of length to show for it, I knew that my measly 4 skeins would not a blanket make. So, I decided to make it into a capelet.
I completely improvised this pattern. I crocheted it until it reached approximately 8 inches in length. Then, I put right sides together and whip stitched the edges. I weaved in the ends and turned back right-side out. After putting it on Maddie, I discovered that it needed to be cinched at the top so that it was a bit more fitted. I weaved a single strand of yarn starting at the front center through the top row hole (where the dc were crocheted) and then through the next row dc hole and back through the next top row hole..et cetera until I came all the way back to the front center. I cut the yarn long enough for a tie, made some pom-poms (which I will probably re-do as they aren't as full as I'd like them to be), and attached them to the yarn drawstring.
Maddie LOVES it! It's very cute on her. I only wish my pics were better!